There are two main reasons for Initial sync to become stuck:
- Production VM powered off.
- Network issues between the production and recovery VRAs.
- Insufficient resources to maintain replication of the I/O load of the protected application.
The VPG is in a continuous Initial Sync that never completes.
If Bandwidth or time-based Throttling are enabled, the throttling values might not be sufficient for the environment to perform replication and cause delay in the Initial sync. Disabling the throttling feature may assist the sync to be completed.Navigate to the site settings and check rather or not you have Bandwidth Throttling enabled. If it is enabled, check rather or or not the value meets the minimum required bandwidth.
If the VRA's resources are congested, the sync may not progress.
To check if the network resources are causing the bottlenecks:
- Use iPerf tool to verify the bitrate available between the 2 sites.
- Compare the results by:
- Use the bandwidth output to verify if the bandwidth observed matches the configuration.
- If the values match, login to the ZVM UI and go to the dashboard page. There you can find the WAN graph which you can compare to the results of iPerf.
By default, Zerto will start throttling I/Os whenever the storage latency goes above 40 ms. This configuration can be viewed in the Site Settings menu -> Throttling -> Show Advanced Settings.Do not to change this configuration without consulting with AssureStor support.
To properly replicate, the Vras must be able to communicate over ports 4007 and 4008 in a bidirectional fashion.
If the issue persists, contact AssureStor support and include the following information:
- Reference the KB
- Attach screenshots of the results of all of the steps that were taken (including Iperf, VRA resources, Screenshots, Etc.)
- Name of the the affected VPGs and their VRAs
- The following logs will be needed
- Time frame - 8 Hours
- Relevant VPGs
- Relevant Sites
- Relevant VRAs
- Relevant hosts logs and hypervisor logs.
- If VCD is being used, VCD logs will be required as well.
- Collect the logs only after you’ve opened a ticket.