The order you upgrade the sites (protected or recovery) is not relevant, as long as paired sites remain only one major version apart.
You can upgrade from version N to the following version (N+1) of Zerto Virtual Replication (including any update within the current version). You cannot do an N+2 upgrade directly. For example, the upgrade is supported for Zerto version 5.0Ux to 5.5Ux, but not from 5.0Ux to 6.0Ux.
A Zerto Virtual Manager can be installed on a site running a different version, as long as each version is only one version higher or lower than the other. When you have multiple sites, make sure that the version of Zerto Virtual Manager is never more than one version higher or lower than any of the versions running on the paired sites.
To upgrade Zerto installed on multiple sites:
- Upgrade a site whose version is lower than the required version. Start the upgrades with the site whose version is lowest. Make sure, at all times, that no site is more or less than one version higher or lower than any of the paired sites.
- If the VRAs on the site needs upgrading, upgrade these VRAs to ensure that they are no less than one version higher or lower than any of the VRAs on any of the paired sites.
- Repeat the above step for all sites.
You have sites running versions 5.0U3, which are paired to a site running 5.5U4. You are planning to upgrade to 6.0U2.
Upgrade first the 5.0U3 site to a 5.5U4 version, and then both of the sites to 6.0U2.
For more information regarding the version you can upgrade to (based on your current version), in addition to the required steps, please review the ‘Upgrading Your Zerto Environment’ section in our ZVM Online Help.
To access the ZVM Online Help, click here and open the HTML file for the relevant platform.
Before upgrading, please verify the following:
- For any peer sites running Zerto v7.5, the ZVM to ZVM communication is backward compatible and will continue to be carried out over port 9081.
- For any peer sites running Zerto v8.0Ux, following the upgrade the ZVM to ZVM communication connection will be made secure and encrypted, and will be carried out over a new HTTPS port, 9071 by default. Therefore, prior to upgrading to Zerto v8.0Ux, if your site has any peer sites running v8.0Ux, make sure this new port, 9071, is open for communication between the sites. In addition, make sure the current port used between the sites, 9081 by default, will remain open as well for the duration of the upgrade.
- Clear the Microsoft Internet Explorer cache of temporary Internet files. Not clearing the cache of temporary files can result in problems when accessing the Zerto Virtual Manager. In vSphere environments, this would be via the vSphere Client console.
- Make sure that all VPGs are in the state Protecting, and not in a sync state, such as Delta Sync, or in an error state, such as Needs Configuration.
- Create a backup of the machine where the Zerto Virtual Manager runs, which you will use if the upgrade fails. Zerto recommends taking a snapshot of the machine after stopping the Zerto Virtual Manager service. Note: The snapshot should only be used to rollback to the pre-upgrade state immediately after the upgrade has completed. The snapshot should not be used after the protection of virtual machines has restarted.
- When upgrading, the protection of the virtual machines continues, but during the upgrade, no new checkpoints are written to the journal, resulting in alerts after the upgrade, even if only one of the sites was upgraded. After the upgrade, Zerto alerts might be issued stating that the journal history and RPO do not meet the specified targets.
- When upgrading Zerto Virtual Replication PowerShell cmdlets, make sure that Windows PowerShell is closed before installing the new version.
For more details and considerations before upgrading, please click here and review the "Upgrading Your Zerto Environment" document.
During the ZVM upgrade, you'll have an option to select or deselect the Auto-Upgrade Virtual Replication Appliances (VRAs). This checkbox is selected by default, which means that the VRAs will be upgraded automatically. You can deselect it and manually upgrade the VRAs after the ZVM upgrade is finished.
Here are a few important details when upgrading the VRAs manually:
- For version upgrades, for VRAs at the protected site, a bitmap sync is performed following the upgrade.
- If a newer version of the installed VRAs exists, you can continue to use the current VRAs with the new version of Zerto, or you can upgrade these VRAs from within the Zerto User Interface.
- VRAs installed with the previous version of Zerto can work with VRAs installed with the current version of Zerto in any combination (all from one version or a mix of VRA versions) as long as the VRAs are only one version lower than the version of Zerto installed on the site.
- Zerto recommends that you always upgrade the VRAs on your site to the latest version.
Not all new installations of Zerto Virtual Replication require upgrading VRAs. If your VRA is outdated relative to your current version of Zerto and an upgrade is available, the VRA version will be reported in the column as outdated. In addition, an alert is issued on the site using the old VRA and on any site that is paired with it. You can move the mouse over the Outdated value to display the VRA version as a tooltip.
For more details and site-specific considerations, please click here and review the "Upgrading Your Zerto Environment" document.
When using the Zerto Cloud Manager (ZCM), you must upgrade Zerto Virtual Manager and Zerto Cloud Manager in parallel. Making sure that you upgrade the version of Zerto Cloud Manager before you upgrade the Zerto Virtual Manager running at the cloud site.
Also, before upgrading the cloud ZVM, make sure that all the peer ZVMs (peer sites) that are connected to the cloud ZVMs, are on the same version (so they will not be more that than one major version apart after the upgrade). Ideally, all peer sites should be upgraded to the same version as the cloud ZVM.
Zerto Cloud Connectors (ZCC) do not require upgrading when a new Zerto Virtual Replication version is released.