Symptoms:When attempting to use test failover, live failover, or move from AWS to vSphere (vCenter), a ZVR customer may experience the following symptoms:
- The VM will power on and load the BIOS.
- The VM will not load the guest OS, and no error message is displayed when viewing the guest VM console.
- Restarting or powering the VM off and on will not change these symptoms.
- The AMI used to create the VM has been updated by AWS, including updated virtual drivers.
- AWS may update the drivers and other components stored in the Amazon Machine Image (AMI) offered to customers when building a native VM (born in AWS).
- ZertoTools for AWS was run using the "Install the latest AWS PV Driver" option on a VM running in vSphere prior to migration to AWS and the 'Zerto Import for all volumes' import method was used during migration.
- The 'Zerto Import for data volumes' or 'AWS Import' import method was used during migration to AWS (these methods do not require ZertoTools for AWS).
In these cases, Zerto has found a workaround using the following steps:
- Log on to MyZerto and navigate to Support & Downloads - Software Downloads - Tools.
- Download the 'AWS PV driver downgrade script' and run the script on the instance protected in AWS prior to attempting a failover or move.
- The script will downgrade the AWS PV drivers from version 8.2.x to version 7.4.6.
- Before initiating a failover or move, select a checkpoint created after the script was run successfully.
This script supports the following operating systems:
- Microsoft Windows Server 2016
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2
* For other operating systems, please review the Interoperability Matrix for Zerto Virtual Replication, which is posted to the Technical Documentation section at www.zerto.com/myzerto/technical-documentation/.
* When running the downgrade script, any Remote Desktop connection to the AWS instance will be interrupted for up to 10 minutes. The connection will be restored once the driver downgrade is complete.
ZVR 6.0 and above
AWS and vCenter