The article covers following topics on BareMetal Backup functionality:
- System Requirements
- Installation and Configuration
Additionall topics covered in separate articles:
- Restoration of BareMetal Images
- Boot of new/fixed machine with burned ISO and go through Recovery Wizard
- Diagnostics and Troubleshooting
- OBRM BareMetal Backup supports operating systems starting from Windows Vista SP2 / Windows Server 2008 SP2 (check the KBA regarding the details on supported platforms);
- The Online Backup application must be installed on the same machine where which volumes are backed up;
- The person who sets up the BareMetal backup must know Windows OS account credentials or NAS (network share) credentials that are granted with read/write/delete/append permissions to the folder where BareMetal backup images will be created for subsequent storing in the cloud;
Installation and Configuration
Installed Online Backup and Recovery Manager version 6.8.0 and newer
Dashboard > Apps menu
- On the Windows Vista SP2 / Windows Server 2008 SP2, the BareMetal installation will not work with the default PowerShell version 1.0. PowerShell update will be required (check related Microsoft articles: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=9864)
- A chosen Backup Account must be located under the Entity for which BareMetal backup functionality is enabled.
BareMetal Backup Installation
- Log into the Online Backup and Recovery Manager with the Backup Account under the entity for which BareMetal option is enabled.
- Skip Easy Backup page if it appears:
On the main application page, click “Go to Web Portal” link:
The Dashboard is opened:
4. Navigate to Devices page:
- screenshot for a Backup Account:
- for a Company Admin
5. Locate the Device for which Baremetal Backup should be installed and make sure that it is online “green” (wait for 1 – 2 minutes after logging in):
In case the Device is not becoming online (green), consult the Troubleshooting article section: "Device is offline"
6. Start installation of Baremetal backup by clicking Manage button > "Install Baremetal Backup":
7. Make sure that the Baremetal SDK download and installation started successfully. The green notice should appear on a successful start of the installation:
Hereafter the notice appears, the Baremetal Backup module download (approximately 200 MB) is started. The download/installation time depends on the network bandwidth and the network route to the Infrascale server my.managedoffsitebackup.net that is located in Softlayer datacenter. Please, refer to the corresponding Troubleshooting article "BareMetal Backup Installation Progress" if the installation seems to be slow (BareMetal Backup option is not appearing during 10 - 20 minutes).
After BareMetal Backup module is successfully installed, the application “BareMetal Backup” is presented:
9. When Baremetal Backup option appears, Click “wrench” icon to configure Baremetal Backup.
The Dashboard is opened in the Default web browser where the following job settings are configured:
a) enter the volume letter of the Source Volume(s) that should be backed up. A semicolon is a separator. In the case of a typo in the input, the notification will appear:
b) “Folder for disk Images” must be located on the volume that is not backed up with Baremetal Backup. It may be on a separate local volume, USB drive or a network share (SMB). Online Backup does not check the available free space in advance so it must be considered whether there is enough free space on the destination folder to store the images. Practically, one Full backup of a volume will need minimum 75% - 80% of its used space to be free on the destination folder.
c) "PC or domain user" must have full permissions (read/write/append/delete) to the Folder for disk images. In case local user is used, set it up as .\UserName to avoid permission issue in case of renaming the machine.
d) For Full and Incremental backups, the following periodicities are available: Hourly, Daily, Weekly, Monthly.
10. After the backup job is configured, click “Apply” and make sure that the Baremetal Backup settings are successfully saved:
11. The first backup is FULL and starts at scheduled time under NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM account according to the tasks in Task Scheduler:
“Started” event will be displayed in Dashboard > Reporting
Dashboard > Monitoring will display the ongoing status of the backup job:
As the scheduled backup is started under NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM account, the OBRM backup progress does not appear on the backed up machine. In case the current transfer speed is the concern, it can be checked according to the topic "Check Upload Speed".
12. Backup report should be sent to email addresses configured in Menu > Advanced Options > Email Backup Reports: