A DR Image Backup is a 'Disaster Recovery' Image backup designed for quick recovery for your critical systems.
DR Image Backups allow Administrators to boot full systems on the dr2cloud Appliance or in the dr2cloud Cloud without the need for a boot CD.
Things to know:
- VMware environments do not require the installation of the DR Image software when configured from the host level.
- Hyper-V environments do require the installation of the DR Image software on the Hyper-V host.
- Unlike Cold BMR backups, DR Image backup can be run on live systems.
- While backing up does not require use of a Cold BMR boot disk, restoration to a new machine DOES require a Cold BMR disk.
- Incrementals are converted into synthetic fulls, providing independence from the rest of the incremental chain in the event of a full restore.
- If you have other backup jobs on this machine, you may want to configure a new* client just for the DR Image backups, as you may want different retention policies to be set.
What you need:
- Functioning Data Protection Appliance.
- Access to the machine(s) you'd like to setup with a DR Image backup job.
- A configured Client for the machines for which you'd like to setup with a DR Image backup job.
1. Download and Install the DR Image Software
- From the dr2cloud Dashboard, navigate to the Appliances page and login to the Primary Appliance on which you'd like to configure a DR Image backup job.
- Open the 'Clients' menu tab, then select the 'Software' tab.
- Download the DR Image Backup Agent.
- Launch the DR Image Backup Agent on the machine you'd like to protect, the installation is automatic and requires no additional steps.
2. Configure the DR Image Backup Client
- Navigate to the 'Clients' tab in your dr2cloud Appliance Management Console.
- Right click the client upon which the DR Image Agent was installed and select 'Edit'.
- Configure your schedule.
- Configure your retention policy.
- Enter an email address to receive notifications.
- Advanced options
- Identify scripts to be executed before or after a backup.
- Networking options.
That's it, you're done!