When configuring a VPG, Zerto Virtual Replication provides an option to mark individual volumes as ?Swap?. This functionality is extremely useful when your operating system or database has a dedicated volume for swap, virtual memory, temporary backups, or files that are only relevant to a live and running machine and are useless following a reboot. When one of the protected VM volumes is marked as a ?Swap? volume, upon saving the VPG, the volume will undergo an Initial Sync, however all subsequent IOs to that volume will be ignored. The purpose of the Initial Sync's is to make sure the full remote file system is available in the event of a Failover Test, Live Failove, Move, or Offsite Clone operation.
To designate a volume as swap while adding a VM to a VPG, follow these steps:
- From the Configure VPG screen, highlight the VM in the list
- Click on Configure
- Select the relevant volume from the Volumes list
- Click Configure Selected Volume
- Check the Swap option, and click Save
- Click Save again, make any additional changes to the VPG, and click Save